Sunday, January 18, 2009

TALES FROM FROSTBITE FALLS-- PART 3



Its snowing again, and it has zoomed up to a sweltering 12 degrees, with prospects of even reach 18 F. The picture above gives the general impression. It's a house just down the road from here. I awoke this morning to another 2 inches or so, and its not letting up at all. Looks like I won't make church over in Chester, but I am in a sanctuary of sorts anyway, praising my Maker for the beauty.


There's something peaceful about snow. Something gentle when it floats slowly down in huge flakes, each one different. There's something reassuring and pristine about snow, with its purity coming down from above. When you are snowed in, in a warm house, and drinking good coffee, well, you have a sense of tranquility and sanctuary. Its as though the world is a peace with you and you with the world, and nothing can harm you here. It led to the following reflection

PURITY

Purity came down from above
Silently, painfully slow
'Though your sins be as red as scarlet
I'll wash them white as snow'.

A gift of unfailing love
That chills one to the bone
Sinking in crevasses deep,
Not leaving unturned one stone.

A pure and pentrating cold
Wind piercing between soul and spirit
As if the entire person was needing
To experience, to feel, and to hear it.

Was needing a complete cleansing
A making of all things new
Not just an external makeover
But an internal spring-cleaning too.

I stood and watched the cold beauty
And felt it with some alarm
I wrapped my mantle around me
To shield myself from harm.

But a still small voice whispered
In the silence, I could barely hear
'Open up your heart and being
And let me wash you clear'

I feared I'd be God's frozen person
I feared an unalterable change
I feared no one would know me
I feared I'd be judged strange.

But the snow it just kept falling
An ensign of his constant grace
I unbuttoned my woolen jacket
The flakes fell full on my face.

Purity came down from above
And I chose to let it in
And that has made all the difference,
And yes, I would do it again.

BW3 Jan. 18th 2009 (Grafton, Vermont)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love these "Tales" posts.

My only request? More pictures! It looks like such a beautiful place, those of us who are reading these posts with a huge slice of envy, would love to see more!

Coming and Going said...

This beautiful photo makes me think of Job 37:5-7...

5 God's voice thunders in marvelous ways;
he does great things beyond our understanding.

6 He says to the snow, 'Fall on the earth,'
and to the rain shower, 'Be a mighty downpour.'

7 So that all men he has made may know his work,
he stops every man from his labor.